Ever since my dad served us pineapple fritters when I was a child, I have had an obsession with everything fritters. I will seriously turn any fruit into a fritter if I can, because they are such a simple and easy treat to create, but they are also super delicious and my daughter will actually eat them. Isn’t that what most mums are looking for when they take the time to cook?
I’ve tried a lot of recipes over the years, searching for the perfect batter. I’ve tinkered with recipes until I felt like my fritters were exactly as I remember from my childhood, and I do believe that this is the best apple fritter recipe I have cooked with yet. As you may have noticed by now, I am not a fancy food kinda gal. I prefer to cook food for my family that is easy, and fast. As much as I love to cook, I don’t want to spend my entire day in the kitchen, I have much better things to do with my time.
This is not just a treat for the kiddos either, FYI, I recently cooked up a double batch for some volunteers at a construction site and they were an absolute hit. Not bad for just an hour spent over the fry pan. This recipe will cook up about 12-14 fritters depending on how sparingly you use the batter. I personally like to have a thick coating, so we usually get 10-12 fritters from one batch. It is perfectly acceptable to eat just as they are, but if you feel so inclined you could add some warmed chocolate sauce to really make them sing. Think churros dipped in chocolate kind of heaven.
A lot of people will fry fritters in a skillet with oil, but I prefer to cook them more like I would a pancake with a little coconut oil. I find this way they are not very oily, which I personally prefer, and I like to use coconut oil with most of my cooking anyway as it’s a healthier option. That might seem silly when these fritters are in no way healthy, but every little bit counts right, especially when you are probably going to eat more of these than you really should, I almost always do!
Well that’s it, an easy treat to serve to your kiddos as a snack or dinner guests with a little chocolate dressing. I’d love to know if you make it up what you think of it!
GLUTEN FREE APPLE FRITTER RECIPE
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 5-6 medium apples peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick rings
- Coconut oil for frying
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the coconut oil in a fry pan over a medium heat. I usually put a tablespoon of oil to start and then add more as it’s needed.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until you have a thick, smooth batter.
- In another bow mix together the 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and place it nearby where you are cooking.
- Using some tongues coat an apple ring with batter and place it into the hot frypan. Fry each side until golden and then remove from the oil and place the fritter on a paper towel to absorb the oil.
- Then place your fritter in the cinnamon sugar mixture while still warm, making sure to coat both sides and then set aside on a plate. Do this with all your fritters until you have used all the batter. We can usually fit 3 fritters at a time in our frypan, if you can do that, absolutely do it.
Loved this recipe? Feel free to follow my Recipes Board so you can always find my recipes.
Thanks for spending your precious time here. If you like this article you can also join me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. You can also join my group “Creative Minds” for creative crafty people on Facebook and share your projects and ideas.